How do I apply?
Why are you so important and how can you help?
Active younger member participation is essential for the future of AAUW across the nation. The association NEEDS YOUR INPUT to stay current with the needs of women today and to help drive this powerful organization in the future.
Get involved at the local, state and national level. Join and network via AAUW on Facebook, on AAUW blogs and in SecondLife. Get involved with women’s issues at your university or via alumni efforts and join your AAUW – university Facebook group. You can volunteer to work with the Louisiana Student Advisory Council (SAC), or start an AAUW student affiliate at your university.
You can add to AAUW’s vast knowlege base! This is especially true if you keep up-to-date with all the latest inovations and technical skills. Then perhaps you can help AAUW better use the Internet, virtual environments and suggest the use of new technologies for networking.
Who would be interested?
- Anyone (men and women) interested in equity issues related to of women and girls.
- Those who agree with AAUW’s Public Policy Priorities and want to receive timely notification of important woman’s issues.
- College students who want some direction and a voice for their issues.
- College students awakening to a vast array of possibilities and also recognizing some of the many additional challenges women face.
- New graduates who might want direction and mentoring in their careers
- Working women who want to network with others.
- Young mothers tired of baby talk who want to have some intelligent conversation for a change
- Women who have just moved into the region wanting to meet people
- Women wanting to expand their social circle
How can we best serve you?
Contact Us. We need your ideas for how our branch can best serve you. Let us (our MVP or any member of the board) know if you are interested in any other activities beyond Great Decisions, and our very popular book review groups. Also let us know if you would like to chair or host any new interest group.
We need to reach young college graduates and college students to get feedback about their biggest concerns.
Suggested Presentations & Workshops
The following are suggestions of important and useful information that can be presented to a younger audience:
- “Real Life 101” – what your college classes didn’t tell you about real life and real business
- “Debt Management And Your Credit Rating” – so you built up some debt in college! It’s not the end of the world!
- “The Importance of Title IX” – today many women can get college degrees via sports scholarships thanks to opportunities provided by Title IX. AAUW advocates vigorous enforcement of Title IX and all other civil rights laws pertaining to education. The Title IX law states, “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.”
- “Elect Her–Campus Women Win” – Elect Her–Campus Women Win encourages and trains college women to run for student government and future political office.
- “$tart $mart” Salary Negotiation Workshop – $tart $mart Salary Negotiation Workshops provides women, who are college juniors and seniors, with the knowledge and skills to negotiate salaries and benefits to receive fair and realistic compensation.
- Look for AAUW programs in a box
Do you have any other ideas for meaningful presentations for younger members? Would you like to help provide these programs at your AAUW branch or college?
On August 26, 1920 the passage of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution gave women — after a long and hard struggle — the right to vote. Our votes remain a vital tool for shaping the policy issues that affect women every day.